It’s not just coconut oil that’s good for dogs – coconut meat packs a healthy punch, too! Shredded coconut is an excellent source of fiber, which helps dogs with digestive issues. And with that in mind, I gave this Banana Coconut Dog Treat Recipe a go. They are easy to make and turned out beautifully! I hope your dog enjoys them as much as Oscar does.
Makes 30 cookies
½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup ground flax seed
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash and combine banana and shredded coconut.
- Add ground cinnamon, rolled oats, flax seed meal and whole wheat flour and mix well.
- Add almond milk. Knead into a stiff dough.
- Roll out to ¼ inch thickness on floured surface. Cut into desired shapes and place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before storing in air-tight containers.
Amy Tokic, Editor of Our Site , is a passionate animal lover and proud pet parent of Oscar, a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua cross, and Zed, a Japanese Chin. Her love of animals began in kindergarten, when she brought her stuffed dog Snoopy into class with her every day. Now, she writes about her adventures in pet ownership and tirelessly researches products, news and health related issues she can share with other animal enthusiasts. In her free time, Amy loves perusing used book and record stores, obsessing over the latest pet products available and chasing squirrels with wild abandon (a habit attributed to spending too much time with her pooches).