Exactly what causes grapes and raisins to cause poisoning in dogs is still being researched. However, it seems certain that it is due to the fruit itself and not to the possible pollution caused by sprays, because even animals that have eaten uncontaminated grapes or raisins have already been brought to the vet with symptoms of poisoning. They entered after the animal had eaten in large quantities.
Grapes and raisins: how much is poisonous?
About 10 to 30 grams of grapes per kilogram of body weight are said to cause poisoning in dogs. For a 20 kilogram dog, this would be between 200 and 600 grams. In the case of raisins, the dangerous amount is said to be around 2.8 grams per body weight, i.e. around 56 grams for a 20 kilogram dog. The symptoms and consequences of poisoning can be severe.
Symptoms of poisoning
Poisoning with grapes or raisins can cause symptoms such as apathetic behavior, vomiting, diarrhea and urination problems. In addition, an increased calcium content in the blood is often found in affected animals. In an emergency, there is a risk of life-threatening kidney failure.
If your dog has accidentally eaten a small amount of grapes or raisins, there should be no symptoms as a rule - nevertheless it is better to always place the fruit out of its reach and, if necessary, to visit a veterinarian.
Is Garlic Toxic to Dogs?
There is much debate about whether garlic is healthy for dogs. But is the plant even poisonous ...
If you suspect veterinarian
Eating grapes or raisins does not cause poisoning in every dog. If your dog has eaten a large amount, you should still go to a veterinarian to be on the safe side. If there is really poisoning, the veterinarian will try to help the four-legged friend with various therapy options, such as giving infusions.